The City of Hillsboro wants to create a welcoming entry to City services. Vibrant artwork on the doors of the elevators of the Civic Center will showcase the City’s creative spirit and welcome its diverse community. The central elevators are at the active core of City Hall, with thousands of people coming and going. Waiting at the elevators, people have the time to enjoy the artwork.
Two artists will be selected to create artwork for a set of three elevators. The artwork can be in any medium that can be reproduced as a vinyl wrap on the elevator doors. The commission to the artist is $2,500, inclusive of all costs to design the artwork. Reproduction costs will be paid by the City. All artists in Oregon and SW Washington are welcome to apply.
Artists should submit up to 8 images of past artwork. After the artists are chosen, they will be asked to create work specifically for the elevator doors. The artists will be given the proportions and layout of the doors, and their artwork will be reproduced to fit the doors.
Selected artists will receive a fee of $2,500 to create the design.
The competition is open to artists living in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Artists in the Hillsboro area are especially encouraged to apply. The City of Hillsboro is committed to reflecting the diversity and cultural richness of our city in the selection of artists and artworks.
- Send up to 8 images of past work. JPEG images are preferred, but photographic prints will be accepted. Submit JPEG images no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side. Images should be labeled with the artist’s last name and the number (Smith1, Smith2, etc.)
- Image list. Description of each image with the title, medium and dimensions
- Resume or brief bio.
- Contact information including e-mail, address and telephone.
December 2, 2019 Submission Deadline
December 6, 2019 Artists Notified of Selection
January 10, 2020 Design for 3 Elevators Submitted
- Applications must be received by e-mail, mail or hand delivered by Monday, December 2, 2019, 8 pm (Pacific Time).
- E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail or hand delivery to: Walters Cultural Arts Center, 527 E Main, Hillsboro, OR 97123
WE’RE HERE TO HELP!
For questions, contact:
Valerie Otani | Public Art Program Supervisor
Melissa Moore | Community Arts Program Supervisor
Celebrating Culture, Creativity, Community & Life in Our Tualatin Valley