This is an abbreviated version of an article originally published by Restore Oregon.
The DeMuro Award: Celebrating Excellence in Preservation, Reuse, and Community Revitalization
Winning projects demonstrate how historic preservation can create affordable housing, incubate new businesses, and combat climate change through re-use.
We are excited to announce that twelve historic projects from across Oregon have been selected to win a prestigious 2019 The DeMuro Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation–the state’s highest honor for the preservation, reuse, and revitalization of architectural and cultural sites, and their impact on the community. The DeMuro Awards Ceremony will take place during the Restoration Celebration Gala on Friday, November 1, 2019.
Selected for extraordinary design, craftsmanship, creative problem-solving, and community impact, the 2019 DeMuro Award-winning projects are:
Almr Apartments and Retail Spaces, Portland
A terrific example of compatible infill design, this multifamily, mixed-use project created 57 new apartments within the historic Alphabet District, echoing the neighborhood’s Scandinavian roots. The project also also saved a 100-year-old heritage American Elm tree.
Altsource Headquarters (1923), Portland
Rather than demolish an old, industrial eyesore, this building was reused and expanded with a flair. It now hums with life and light, a landmark for the neighborhood and inspiration for employees of this home-grown Portland company.
Fairmount Apartments (1905), Portland
One of the only remaining buildings from the 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition, the Fairmount was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. In 2016, the property underwent an extensive restoration and renovation — all while preserving the historic exterior. Fairmount Apartments have approximately 80 modern apartment units of varying size.
Firehouse 17 Restoration & Addition (1912), Portland
An icon from the days of horse-drawn fire engines was restored (including the fire poles!) and converted to a warm and efficient residence with all the modern amenities.
Historic Central Hotel (1929), Burns
After sitting empty and deteriorating for over 20 years, an intrepid husband-and-wife team brought a piece of local history back to life, restored a sense of pride, and provided much-needed lodging along Burns’ Main Street.
M & N Building (1924), Astoria
Formerly listed among Restore Oregon’s Most Endangered Places, the M&N Building went from sad and sinking fast, to shored up and transformed into restaurants and retail spaces, transforming a block of Astoria’s historic downtown.
Lincoln Hall Renovation & Addition (1912), Portland
Home to the Portland State University’s School of Music and Theater and numerous community arts organizations, interior spaces of this former high school were adapted for new uses and a soaring public entrance added, while retaining the building’s historic soul.
Sherman County Courthouse Rehabilitation & Expansion (1899), Moro
Rehabilitation returned this beloved landmark to its original glory, including a new cupola that replicates the storm-damaged original, while a thoughtfully designed annex complements the historic building and provides additional government and community services space.
Silas Beeks House Restoration (1848), Forest Grove
A rare Pioneer-Era house was saved from demolition and a pain-staking, top-to-bottom restoration kept historic authenticity front and center, retaining every possible bit of historic material and finding creative solutions to provide modern amenities.
The Redd on Salmon Street (1918), Portland
The Redd on Salmon Street project transformed a historic 1918 ironworks and a former showroom and warehouse into a cohesive 76,000 square foot campus that is a working hub for the regional food system and a place where innovative ideas take hold.
U.S. Customs House | WeWork (1898), Portland
After several failed attempts by previous developers, this Beaux-Arts landmark was gloriously repurposed as shared office space, incorporating modern features and function while preserving historic spaces.
Woodlark Hotel (1907/1912), Portland
The historic Cornelius Hotel was saved from destruction by knitting it together with the adjacent Woodlark Building. After overcoming numerous seismic and structural challenges, a new Portland landmark emerged.
Celebrating Culture, Creativity, Community & Life in Our Tualatin Valley